Q & A with Judge Patrick Conlin, Washtenaw County Circuit Court

By John B. Swift posted 12-03-2018 08:31


Hon. Patrick J. Conlin, Jr.

Washtenaw County Circuit Court

101 E. Huron St.
Ann ArborMI 48104
Phone: (734) 222-3399
Fax: (734) 222-3362


Hon. Patrick J. Conlin, Jr., was elected by voters in 2014 and took the bench on January 2, 2015. He is assigned family law cases, personal protection orders, and juvenile court backup. He previously worked at the law firm of Keusch and Flintoft, PC, focusing his practice on family law matters, probate and general civil litigation, and transactional work. Judge Conlin is a member of the State Bar of Michigan, the American Bar Association, and the Washtenaw County Bar Association (past president). He is also a member of the Women Lawyers Association, the Michigan Association for Justice, and the Ann Arbor Branch of the NAACP.


What is the worst thing lawyers can do in court?

The worst thing lawyers can do is misrepresent the facts, the law, themselves, or their clients.


What is the best thing lawyers can do in court?

It is always a good idea to be candid, even if there is a problem. That honesty will go far in the court’s eyes and last a long time in the court's memory.


What is something interesting you do off the bench?

I'm actually pretty boring outside the courtroom. However, I currently serve on the St. Joseph Mercy Chelsea Hospital Board as well as the board of the 5 Healthy Towns Foundation.


What role does your clerk play?

Our court clerk and recorder manage the courtroom. Attorneys should always check in with them when they arrive at court and are waiting for their cases to be called.


When is your motion call? Is there a maximum number of motions heard during motion call?

We hold motion call Wednesdays, and there is no maximum for how many motions can be heard. However we do split the day up and schedule motions filed by in pro per parties in the morning followed by attorney-represented parties in the afternoon.


When and how do attorneys request an adjournment?

It is best to first e-mail or call the other party and request an adjournment by stipulation. Then e-mail that stipulation to my judicial attorney or my judicial coordinator. Include a specific request for a new hearing date along with a specific explanation of the circumstances.


What happens at a settlement conference?

My judicial attorney conducts the settlement conference with the goal of finding creative solutions. You should come prepared to have a candid conversation without pretense. There is no need to posture for those present, and it will not serve your client’s interests to do so.